This option is the best fit for: Field Trips, School Groups, Classes, Clubs, Scout Troops, Professional Groups
By appointment only.
This is one of our most popular programs. The California Raptor Center welcomes hundreds of local school children and interested community members to the CRC every year. This program averages 1½ to 2 hours in length. The first half consists of an interactive informational presentation on local raptors. Participants are exposed to rehabilitation and what we see and do here at the CRC. Many aspects of raptor biology are covered, including adaptations, conservation and species identification.
Next, the students have the opportunity to handle the numerous educational talons, bones, feathers and "study skins" used in the presentation. These are clean, taxidermied birds which are used as visual and tactile aids. They present an unsurpassed experience of touching a real hawk or owl.
The students are then taken on a tour of our non-releasable birds. They are introduced to each individual bird species and their individual personal stories. The tour ends with a visit to the Museum, a hands-on experience both children and adults enjoy.
The students then vote on which bird they would like to sponsor, and an "Adopt-A-Bird" packet (consisting of a certificate made out to the class or individual, color photos of their adopted raptor and information sheets about the bird) is sent home with the group.
There is a $75 minimum fee for all Guided On-Site Presentations.
- Children: $5 per person
- Adults: $8 per person
Groups of 15 or fewer children pay the minimum base fee of $75; for groups of 15 or more children, add $5 per each additional child.
Groups of 9 or fewer adults pay the minimum base fee of $75; for groups of 9 or more adults, add $8 per each additional adult.
There is no fee for adult chaperones of school groups.
- On-site Presentations are given on weekdays and some Saturdays. They are not available on Sundays or holidays.
- Tuesday and Thursday mornings with 9 a.m. - 10 a.m. start times are preferred, but we can work with you to arrange presentations outside of those times.
- Maximum group size of 30 (plus chaperones, if applicable)
- Minimum grade level of 2nd Grade - see Off-site Presentations if you're interested in programs for pre-K through 1st grade
- Limit of one (1) On-Site Presentation per day - if you have more than 30 students, you can schedule several visits on several different dates
How to Schedule
To expedite the process, please provide the following information:
- your name
- your organization
- phone number
- class/grade level or adult group
- number of attendees
- 2 or 3 possible dates
Please note that our Education Office is primarily staffed by volunteers and receives a high volume of program requests. It may take several days to receive a response to your enquiry. We appreciate your patience and understanding and recommend that you contact us about prospective programs several weeks prior to the proposed date.